My husband has been sick this week. He no longer has a fever but he has a lingering cough and sore throat. He was craving comfort food that would warm him up without harshness to his throat. This vegan tetrazzini was the perfect recipe to comfort him!
This recipe is the base for the tetrazzini. It is very good just like this but feel free to be creative and add any veggies or proteins that you crave or that you have on hand! Last night we added Gardein “chicken” strips, baby portobello mushrooms, and peas. If you are adding the vegan chicken, you can chop or shred it and add it to the sauce after the cheese is added. I sautéed the veggies separately and added them to the pasta and sauce before it went into the oven.
- 1 lb dry pasta (spaghetti, linguine, and fettuccine work well)
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp vegan butter/margarine
- 5 tbsp flour
- 1 cup nondairy milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Bring water to a boil for the pasta. When water is boiling, add the salt and pasta. Cook pasta as directed on the box. You may want to use the minimum cooking time because the pasta will cook some more in the oven.
- While pasta is cooking, place the vegan butter in a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat. When butter is melted, stir in the flour and continue stirring as it cooks for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the nondairy milk and veggie broth. Bring mixture to a boil while stirring. When it boils, turn the heat to low and continue stirring. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the vegan cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted. Add the pepper and garlic powder.
- When the pasta and sauce are cooked, combine in the greased pan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes.